

DHHSC Board Meeting
Location: 5340 N. Fresno St., Fresno, CA 93710
Time: 6:00PM-8:00PM

Board Members Present:

Jeanette Castro
Joe Lind
Zoraida Valdez-Rodriguez (Via Zoom)
Jimmy Bronson
Christian Gentile (via zoom)

Board Members Absent:

Jeffrey Oropeza

Call to order: (6:12)

Introductions of the board members who are here in attendance.

Approval of Agenda:

Motion to approve the agenda:

Approved: Joe Lind

Second: Jimmy Bronson

Opposed: none

approved

Approval of previous board minutes:

Motion to approve the board minutes from last month: Jimmy

Second: Christian

Opposed: none

approved

Reports:

President's Report-

- Signed for the Deaf access program resolution, completed to get funding for next year.
- Last Saturday hosted Parents Connect group. Did not have a large attendance, but had a few people come. The next meeting will be June 13th.

Vice President's Report- Vacant, so there is no report

Secretary's Report- no report

Treasurer's Report: Accounts receivable from grants is (get the numbers from Viri)

Board private fund: \$1,032.92

Profit: +21,257.19

Department of Social Services: Grant awarded 1,086,338.00

Grant funds expended \$719,896.85

Unspent balance: \$366,441.15

Executive Director's report:

An update in regards to the budgeting report, applied for the first five grant, we were not awarded that grant. Another grant, the Stevenson grant, that is for the Salinas area, we applied for that and we were also not awarded that grant as well.

Other agency updates, Fresno office, we have new WiFi. There are 3 different PWs. One for management team, one for staff, one for the public. The WiFi, will leave as soon as you leave the building. That will allow us to be more efficient of the WiFi here. We also have the first community Monterey bay aquarium event. Total of 72 attendees. Family, community members, and allies attended. We did receive a lot of feedback on how to run this event in future years. People said it was a good experience, one example of making better wheel chair access accommodations. Movie BBQ event, had a successful event, we had 103 attendees, we used that as a fundraiser to raise funds for future events. We raised somewhere around \$600. That event is for future events that will give us the opportunity to have more events in the future. We will be sharing another event soon.

We have the Deaf Prom where high school Deaf students can attend from around the area. We are partnering with Macy's at Fashion Fair Mall, students can shop at Macy's and they are donating all the clothing and the hair and make-up for students to attend.

Last Saturday, had Parent Connect event. Support group for parents. 3 parents attended, 2 hearing and 1 Deaf. Jeanette led the group and the parents liked the event so we will be hosting it again and hopefully getting the word out to others.

Norseman Elementary School normally has the Mother's Day event, but we did not have that event this year because of the relocation.

Internal staff training day, we focus on the management and staff here on how we train them to ensure they are better equipped to serve the equipment. We will be doing these training days every 2 months.

Future Events: The next BBQ and movie will be July 17th/18th. We will get the flyer out for that, keep an eye out for that event. We will be selling hamburgers and hot dogs and additional items.

Deaf history event: will be moved to Deaf Awareness day. We won't be doing Deaf Awareness Week, to conserve the staff's time and energy on focusing on VDF.

ASL Summer Camp: located in Merced, Fresno, and Visalia. Hopefully can include more families by not hosting it only in Fresno.

May 30th, 1-4 we have our First 5 series. The presenter is Will Fertman and also June 5th 9-12, Rachel Zenach, she is the author of the Butterfly Cage and will present on June 5th.

Staff Updates: We are still looking for a full-time client support specialist in the Merced office, please spread the word.

Complaints: none at this time.

We are keeping up with State compliance.

Old Business: follow-up on secretary positions. We are looking to recruit more board members.

New Business:

Joe Lind nominates Zoraida as Treasurer

Motion: Joe Lind

Jimmy: second

Opposed: none

Abstention: none

Approved:

Motion Jimmy Bronson as Vice-President: Joe Lind

Second: Zoraida

Opposed:

Abstention:

Approved:

General Board member comments:

Zoraida: Thank you to Joshua and Jolene for running the meetings on Fridays for Deaf prom. Joshua has taken care of everything and coordinating with Macy's for students to get free clothing and make-up done. Our students are extremely excited.

Jimmy Bronson: the EDD report the first 5 grant was approved. We have had that for many years. Viri mentioned for over 10 years. We thought we would not get the first 5 grant. We tried a different track and that was not allowed so they will not grant the award to DHHSC. Jimmy asked how will this affect DHHSC. We are looking at the Kellogg Grant from Gallaudet.

Public comments (related to agenda only)

Public comments will be limited to 3 minutes.

A community member: Bryan curious why you requested grants. What is the Kellogg Grant. Normally we apply for the first 5 grant for the last 10 years, when that money stops, we want to be able to cover staff's time hosting workshops so we are trying to get another grants. DSS doesn't cover all the things we do here so we need additional grants to support additional services.

Esteban, I came Thursdays for game day. A month ago, I noticed that for we have had problems in the past, but I am curious what the purpose of our donations to help the DHHSC. Viri

responded, on Thursdays, I am not involved with that, it is open to the public. If it includes money then people can't afford to participate. We don't want to charge people to come on Thursdays. We want to make sure that it is open to everyone.

Esteban: I have noticed with the 30 years ago we had good events and great fundraisers for DHHSC. I know people have a heart for the agency, but people can't afford things due to high prices. Do we have any ideas on how to sell tickets or something to find ways to contribute money? Viri responded, yes, I know that Seniors had their own funds that we are not touching. That was donations and figuring out how to give back to DHHSC. If people want to do something with money, they can do different events here and raise money.

Hello, my name is Chuck. On Thursdays, I lead the Deaf group that meets here. The group is doing great and we have been meeting here for many years. 2-3 years ago, one of the managers and I met, and they had asked me what had happened. They mentioned that I was leaving the group, I had mentioned that no one is helping me. I wasn't blaming anyone and I did not want to cause any trouble. I spoke with the manager and told staff and they mentioned stop playing games for money, but I don't understand who had mentioned that. All of the senior citizens were playing games and there were about 21-22 of us and we were told we had to stop. Some had passed over time.

Jimmy: question for chuck, I know some of the history, do you miss playing for money. Some things have changed, I think no money is an improvement. When I was in school we were allowed to smoke on campus and I remember the teacher's lounge was filled with cigarette smoke. Now schools don't allow smoking on campus and that has improved. We don't have to keep the rules the same. If you want to play for money, you can go to Vegas and gamble. It does not have to be here at DHHSC, we can do that at other places. During DHHSC business hours it should be open for everyone and not just people who can financially participate.

Esteban: I noticed that the Thursday's events are not publicized. We put a post or flyer up and then it was removed. Some other friends were talking about who took down the flyer. We noticed that one person was removing the information from the website. I do have evidence of who took them down. We were just wondering why Thursdays is not advertised or publicized anymore. We want to help increase the awareness of Thursday events.

Viri: I have no idea about the flyer. Here at DHHSC we do not remove flyers unless there is a reason. I will look into it. If the group made a flyer and posted it in the lobby, it should go through us first. If you are making a flyer and pass it out that is fine, but a flyer posted in our lobby has to be approved first before being put up. If it got posted without permission then I assume that is why it would be removed, but let me know and I will look into that.

Announcements:

Viri said, Christian, I want to thank you for your time and Christian has been a big partner as an Audiologist and a great advocate for DHH children and the DHH community. He has been a great ally and we want to thank you for your time and all your work with the board.

Adjournment (time): 6:54